Sunday, June 10, 2018

Food Today

With Weight Watchers SmartPoints Freestyle, many of the foods are zero points. Obviously this doesn't mean zero calories, but what it does is encourage me to eat these zero point foods rather than, say, a food of equivalent caloric value but with much less nutritional content (i.e., a banana vs. a 100-calorie bag of snack food, etc.)

I got up late today with precious little motivation to eat, well, anything.  Finally though, I was hungry.  And of course, I haven't been to the grocery store for a decent shopping trip lately because, well depressed.  Fortunately I have a plethora of canned vegetables (beans of varying types, tomatoes, corn) in the pantry and eggs in the fridge, so I heated up two cans of tomatoes (one with jalapenos, one with oregano/ basil/ garlic seasoning) along with one can of rinsed garbanzo beans.  Cooked that with a few more seasonings in a skillet until it was simmering, then cracked four eggs into it and made a variant of what I've seen called Eggs in Hell.

I then remembered I had some frozen riced cauliflower in the freezer, so I nuked that, divided it into two bowls, and then when the bean/ tomato/ egg mess was done, I divided it into the two bowls.  One went into the refrigerator for tomorrow or later this week, the other I topped with half a Haas avocado.

Not bad for digging through what's in the pantry :)  The whole thing (okay, half of it because I only ate half) was a whopping 4 SmartPoints.  Calculating for calories, it was about 100 calories for the tomatoes, 250 for the garbanzo beans, 140 for the eggs, 140 for the avocado, and 60 for the cauliflower.  That adds up to just under 700 calories, which is a pretty big punch for a mere 4 SmartPoints, but when you figure it pretty much was "brunch", i.e., for two meals, it worked out well.

That said, it's also a good reminder to me to not simply count SmartPoints.  The benefit to the SmartPoints is it lets me eat a variety of nutritionally dense foods with no "penalty", with a set amount of foods with points values I can consume over the course of a week. 

Weight Watchers isn't a cure-all, and it certainly is a business.  But I'm finding it helpful to encourage me to make wiser choices with my food.  Yes, I'm a grown-ass adult and intellectually I know these things... but it still helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Slackitude, Batman!

Yeah, yeah, it's been over a month.  I've put weight back on.  It's hard to say exactly how much because the scale is waffling...