Thursday, July 19, 2018

Day 31 Lexapro, and Hair Policing

The scale semi-politely said 171.4 today, so... yeah.  It's doing its thing.  We'll see how everything washes out on Saturday.  I've been running at a deficit this week, so my hope is it will show a loss.  That said, my body's ability to retain water is pretty impressive so I'm not going to hold my breath.  I am, however, going to remain compliant the rest of this week.

As for my Lexapro, one thing it doesn't stop is my constant amazement at how some women think it's totally okay to police other women's hair, faces, bodies, etc.  I'm a bit focused on this at the moment due to being the recipient of "hair policing"... yeah.  Apparently it's a thing.

For the record, I've been growing out my dye for the past year plus.  My hair is exceptionally grey -- white in places, silver to pewter in others -- and keeping the red color on it was getting ridiculous.  Not even ten days after I had fresh color applied, I was having to color in my roots with touch-up powder; for over $140 a pop, that wasn't a good return on my investment.  So, right before my 47th birthday I figured I'd take the plunge.  My goal was and still is to have all my dye grown out and my hair length back to the middle of my back by the time I turn 50.  At this point, I stand a good chance of making that happen.

Anyway, I'm pretty public about things I do (Growing out my grey?  Check.  On anti-depressants?  Check.  Botox and fillers?  Check.  Hell yes.), so I've documented my progress on growing out my dye on Facebook.  It's been interesting, and a couple of my friends have followed suit which is kind of fun :)  But now that I'm close to having it all grown out, some of my friends are trying to tell me it's time to cut off all the dye.  Which, hey, they're entitled to their own opinion, and I posted the pictures in public, so it's not as if I didn't tacitly volunteer for feedback.  But when I explained that no, I'm keeping my length because I'm just not a short hair person, they doubled down on the subject as if I'm being ridiculous for having a couple inches of color left on the bottom of my hair.

Excuse me, but it's my hair.  If you don't like it, there's an "unfriend" button right there.  Or, here's a thought, you can just scroll on by.

So of course, in twenty-four hours that followed, I had two separate people tell me how amazing my hair color is.  Both people thought I had deliberately dyed the ends, because apparently "reverse ombre" is on trend right now.  I had to laugh.

I don't care what other folks do with their hair.  Frankly, if I didn't like my natural hair color I would grab a box of dye again in an instant, because better living through chemistry.  But I do, so I'm sticking with it.  That's just me, though.  I am not ever going to tell another woman what she needs to do with her hair.  It's not my head, it's not my business.

Sheesh, I have enough trouble dealing with my own stuff.  I don't have time to meddle in everyone else's.

Okay, slight rant there :)  As you were -- carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Slackitude, Batman!

Yeah, yeah, it's been over a month.  I've put weight back on.  It's hard to say exactly how much because the scale is waffling...