Saturday, August 18, 2018

Day 61 Lexapro

Down yet ANOTHER 0.6 pounds at 167.2.  Consistency is a thing.

I'm aggravated with the glacially slow rate of weight loss, but I'm 48 and on Lexapro so I should probably count my blessings.  It's moving in the right direction.  If I want it to go more quickly I need to add in activity.  Duh.

Regarding my dog, he's doing better for now :)  The Lasix finally kicked in and by yesterday morning he was eating and acting much more like himself.  We went to the vet and although he's in a terminal stage for congestive heart failure, we've got six months to a year with him (or thereabouts) until the medications stop being effective.  For now, he's completely his old self, right down to his downright aggravating habit of "Mommy, put me up on the bed!  Okay, I want down again.  Now back up!" all within a five minute period of time.

The emergency vet had him on a 3x/ day dosage, and his regular vet moved it to 2x/ day.  Today is the first time the dosages are 12 hours apart so needless to say I'm watching him like a hawk, but at the moment he's seeming fine other than turning his nose up at breakfast.  He did eat some after his Lasix dose, so my plan is that he should do Lasix first, then breakfast, rather than the inverse.  As long as his breathing and behavior stay normal, I'm fine.  If not, I'll up his dosage again.

He wasn't turning down all food by any means -- he ate ALL the treats, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

We have a few more stages of medication, including adding in a kidney medicine should the need arise, so there's time (how much no one knows) before we have to make that call.  I don't love it, but watching him struggle to breathe Thursday night there is no way I'd let him suffer like that.  He deserves better.

We'll take care of him to the best of our ability all the way to the end.  I love my bitty boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Slackitude, Batman!

Yeah, yeah, it's been over a month.  I've put weight back on.  It's hard to say exactly how much because the scale is waffling...